Finding Aid to the Quaker Memorial Presbyterian Church Collection

Text

JONES MEMORIAL LIBRARY
2311 MEMORIAL AVENUE
LYNCHBURG, VIRGINIA 24501
(434) 846-0501
QUAKER MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH COLLECTION
The collection includes newspaper clippings, church bulletins, and financial reports
for Quaker Memorial Presbyterian Church, Lynchburg, Virginia. Also included are
letters and financial records relating to the 1899-1904 restoration of the Quaker Meeting
House, which is on the grounds of this Presbyterian church.
FOLDER 1 Miscellaneous Quaker Memorial Church records
FOLDER 2 Miscellaneous newspaper clippings, newsletters,
bulletins, history

MS1280

JONES MEMORIAL LIBRARY
2311 MEMORIAL AVENUE
LYNCHBURG, VIRGINIA 24501
(434) 846-0501
QUAKER MEMORIAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Quaker Memorial Presbyterian Church had its beginning in a Sunday school for
neighborhood children established by Emily Rowse LOGAN, who lived near the ruins of
the Quaker Meeting House. At first, she met with the children in her home. When
attendance in the Sunday school grew, Mrs. LOGAN sought the assistance of Rev. J. A.
McMURRAY, pastor of the Floyd Street Presbyterian Church. They received permission
to use a schoolhouse that had been moved to the Meeting House property. Attendance
continued to grow and additional property was sought for a larger Sunday school.
Dr. John J. TERRELL, one of the last remaining Quakers in the area, assisted Rev.
McMURRAY in securing the Meeting House property from the Richmond Meeting,
Society of Friends, for $25.00 in 1899. The congregation immediately set about to
restore the abandoned Meeting House. "The completed and restored church was
dedicated October 2, 1904. The present walls are the original ones, other portions,
including roof and interior furnishings are new."
"In May 1910, the church was organized and accepted by Montgomery Presbytery. It
was given the name, 'Quaker Memorial Presbyterian Church.'" The Church erected a
building for its Church School in 1943 and, in 1950, completed the present sanctuary. In
1951, the congregation decided to preserve the old Meeting House and adjoining
cemetery as "an historical shrine," in honor of the original Quaker congregation.
[Mrs. H. L. Morton, "History of Quaker Memorial Presbyterian Church," Quaker Memorial Presbyterian
Church Collection, Mss., MS1280, Jones Memorial Library, Lynchburg, VA.]

MS1280

Dublin Core

Title

Finding Aid to the Quaker Memorial Presbyterian Church Collection

Subject

finding aids
Quaker Memorial Presbyterian Church (Lynchburg. Va.)
Society of Friends

Description

Finding aid to the Quaker Memorial Presbyterian Church Collection held at Jones Memorial Library in Lynchburg, Virginia. The collection includes clippings, bulletins, and reports as well as letters regarding restoration of the Quaker Meeting House.

Creator

George M. Jones Memorial Library

Publisher

George M. Jones Memorial Library

Date

2023

Rights

George M. Jones Memorial Library

Relation

MS1280Folder1.2postcard

Format

pdf

Language

English

Identifier

MS1280FA

Citation

George M. Jones Memorial Library, “Finding Aid to the Quaker Memorial Presbyterian Church Collection,” Digital Collections, accessed June 21, 2024, https://digitaljones.omeka.net/items/show/322.