Manuscript finding aid to the Alexander W. Terrell (1861-1942) Account Books

Text

JONES MEMORIAL LIBRARY
2311 MEMORIAL AVENUE
LYNCHBURG, VIRGINIA 24501
(434) 846-0501
ALEXANDER W. TERRELL (1861-1942) ACCOUNT BOOKS
The collection includes accounts (1895-1916) from the practice of Drs. Alexander W.
TERRELL and Samuel LILE, including those for St. Andrew's Home and Hospital. Drs.
John W. CARROLL and John W. DILLARD were also associated with Drs. TERRELL
and LILE during this period.
BOX 1

Bank Book and General Expenses (1895)
Journal (1896)
Index of Accounts (1896)
Ledger (1901) St. Andrew's Home and Hospital

[BOX 2] Ledger, Terrell & Lile (1896)
[BOX 3] Account Book, Terrell & Lile (1898)
[BOX 4] Account Book, Terrell & Lile (1898)
[BOX 5] Account Book, Terrell & Lile (1901)
[BOX 6] Account Book, Terrell & Lile (1904)
[BOX 7] Account Book, Terrell & Lile (1904)
[BOX 8] Account Book, Terrell & Lile (1909)
[BOX 9] Account Book, St. Andrew's Home & Hospital (1902)
[BOX 10] Account Book, St. Andrew's Home & Hospital (1906)
[BOX 11] Account Book, St. Andrew's Home & Hospital (1909)
[BOX 12] Account Book, Terrell & Lile (1911)

MS1042

JONES MEMORIAL LIBRARY
2311 MEMORIAL AVENUE
LYNCHBURG, VIRGINIA 24501
(434) 846-0501
ALEXANDER WATKINS TERRELL (1861-1942)
Alexander Watkins TERRELL, son of Dr. John Jay TERRELL and Susan WADE,
was born 11 July 1861 at Rock Castle in Campbell County, Virginia. He was educated at
New London Academy and attended Randolph-Macon College at Ashland and the
University of Virginia. He received his medical degree from the Hospital College of
Medicine at Louisville, Kentucky, in 1886. He was elected a member of the Medical
Society of Virginia in 1887.
Dr. TERRELL began his medical practice in 1886 in Campbell County with his father.
In 1889 he moved to Lynchburg to make his home and where, several years later, he
joined with Dr. Samuel LILE to found St. Andrew's Home and Hospital.
Alexander W. TERRELL married 6 November 1889 Lillian KING, daughter of
Thomas Fitch KING and Elizabeth Annette HICKSON, of Micanopy, Florida.
During his career, Dr. Alexander W. TERRELL pioneered in the use of anti-toxin and
other vaccines, was the first to use the X-ray as a diagnostic tool, and was physician for
Randolph-Macon Woman's College for over fifty years. During World War I, he was
chairman of the Medical Advisory Board.
A "leader in civic, cultural and church activities," Dr. TERRELL died 30 August 1942
and was buried in Spring Hill Cemetery in Lynchburg.
[Obituary, Alexander W. Terrell, Lynchburg News, 31 August 1942, p. 1 col. 2; Obituary, Lillian King
Terrell, Lynchburg News, 29 December 1935, p. 1 col. 4; "Biographical Register of Members,"
Transactions of the Forty-Second Annual Session of the Medical Society of Virginia, 1911 (Richmond:
Waddey, 1912), p. 400.]

MS1042

JONES MEMORIAL LIBRARY
2311 MEMORIAL AVENUE
LYNCHBURG, VIRGINIA 24501
(434) 846-0501
SAMUEL LILE (1861-1923)
Samuel LILE, the son of John Allison LILE and Louisa Elizabeth MINOR, was born
16 March 1861 in Morgan County, Alabama. He received his medical degree from the
University of Louisville in 1888 and passed the Virginia Medical Examining Board in
1892. Dr. LILE was elected a member of the Medical Society of Virginia in 1894.
Samuel LILE married 9 March 1886 Ann H. BOULDIN, daughter of Hilary
BOULDIN and Fannie R. MINOR, of Morgan County, Alabama.
In 1892, Dr. and Mrs. LILE moved to Lynchburg, where he became associated with
Dr. Alexander Watkins TERRELL in the founding of the St. Andrew's Home and
Hospital.
A member of Court Street Methodist Church and a member of the Billy Sunday Club,
Dr. Samuel LILE died 15 April 1923. He was buried in Spring Hill Cemetery in
Lynchburg.
[Obituary, Samuel Lile, Lynchburg News, 17 April 1923, p. 8 col. 3; Obituary, Annie Bouldin Lile,
Lynchburg News, 5 March 1917, p. 6 col. 4; Burial record, Diuguid Funeral Home, Lynchburg, VA, Book
19, p. 327 (17 April 1923); "William Minor Lile," Rosewell Page, ed., University of Virginia: Its History,
Influence, Equipment and Characteristics, Vol. II (New York: Lewis Publ., 1904), p. 21; John B. Minor,
The Minor Family of Virginia (Lynchburg: J. P. Bell, 1923), p. 21 (Microfilmed copy).]

MS1042

JONES MEMORIAL LIBRARY
2311 MEMORIAL AVENUE
LYNCHBURG, VIRGINIA 24501
(434) 846-0501
JOHN WILLIAM DILLARD (1852-1930)
John William DILLARD, son of Capt. John James DILLARD and Elizabeth Haskins
DILLARD, was born 12 August 1852 in Nelson County, Virginia. He was educated by
private tutors and at Terry's Academy. He received his medical degree from the
University of Virginia in 1875, and went to New York to pursue clinical work at Bellevue
Hospital. He also studied at St. Thomas Hospital, London, England.
Dr. DILLARD was elected to the Medical Society of Virginia in 1876, and served as
1st Vice-President in 1890. He was also a member of the American Medical Association,
the Piedmont Medical Society, the Tri-State Medical Society, and the Lynchburg and
Campbell County Medical Society. He served as surgeon at Lynchburg for the Norfolk
and Western Railroad for thirty-seven years.
John William DILLARD married 5 February 1880 Emma Tell WHITE, of
Appomattox County, the daughter of Dr. Peter WHITE and Fannie RUFFNER.
Dr. John W. DILLARD established the Hygeia Hospital in Lynchburg, Virginia, in
1907. He operated the hospital for six years before purchasing a one-third share in the St.
Andrew's Home and Hospital with Dr. Alexander W. TERRELL and Dr. Samuel LILE.
Dr. DILLARD continued at St. Andrew's until its closing several years later. He
continued private practice at local hospitals until his death on 17 May 1930. He was
buried in Spring Hill Cemetery, Lynchburg.
[Obituary, Lynchburg News, 18 May 1930, p. 1 col. 4; "Marriage of John W. Dillard and Emma White,"
Lynchburg Virginian, 7 February 1880, p. 3 col. 1-2; "Biographical Register of Members," Transactions of
the Forty-Second Annual Session of the Medical Society of Virginia, 1911 (Richmond: Waddey, 1912), p.
317; "John William Dillard, M.D.," History of Virginia, Vol. V (Chicago: American Historical Society,
1924), p. 311.]

MS1042

JONES MEMORIAL LIBRARY
2311 MEMORIAL AVENUE
LYNCHBURG, VIRGINIA 24501
(434) 846-0501
JOHN WESLEY CARROLL, JR. (1879-1931)
John Wesley CARROLL, Jr., son of John Wesley CARROLL and Sallie Frances
ADAMS, was born 25 August 1879, in Lynchburg, Virginia. He was educated in
Lynchburg schools and attended the Virginia Military Institute. He received his medical
degree from the University of Virginia in 1901. He did post-graduate work in surgery in
the New York Hospital, the Post-Graduate Hospital and the Roosevelt Hospital. He
returned to Lynchburg where he entered medical practice.
John Wesley CARROLL, Jr., married in Richmond, Virginia, in 1901, Margaret
LAYMAN, daughter of James T. LAYMAN, of Indianapolis, Indiana.
During World War I, Dr. CARROLL volunteered in 1917 and received a commission
as captain in the Medical Corps on 29 December 1917. He trained for a time at Camp
Sevier, Greenville, South Carolina, and was called into active duty in 1918. While
serving at Saint Denis, France, with Base Hospital No. 41, Dr. CARROLL was promoted
to the rank of major of the Medical Corps on 11 November 1918. Upon his return to the
United States, he was with the surgical staff at Camp Lee, Virginia, until receiving his
discharge in 1919.
In addition to his medical career, John Wesley CARROLL, Jr., served as a director of
the Lynchburg National Bank and the Lynchburg Trust and Savings Bank. He was a
member of the Board of Aldermen for the City of Lynchburg from 1910 until 1918. He
was also a member of the Lynchburg-Campbell County Medical Society, serving as
president in 1918, the Virginia Medical Society, the American Medical Association, the
Tri-State Medical Society, and the South Piedmont Medical Society.
Dr. John Wesley CARROLL, Jr., died 3 June 1931 in Richmond, Virginia. He was
buried in the Presbyterian Cemetery in Lynchburg.
[Obituary, Lynchburg News, 4 June 1931, p. 9 col. 1; "John W. Carroll, Jr., M.D.," History of Virginia,
Vol. V (Chicago: American Historical Society, 1924), pp. 525-526.]

MS1042

Dublin Core

Title

Manuscript finding aid to the Alexander W. Terrell (1861-1942) Account Books

Subject

Manuscript finding aid
Carroll, John Wesley Jr. (1879-1931)
Dillard, John William (1852-1930)
Lile, Samuel (1861-1923)
Terrell, Alexander Watkins (1861-1942)

Description

Manuscript finding aid to the Alexander W. Terrell account books held at Jones Memorial Library

Creator

George M. Jones Memorial Library

Publisher

George M. Jones Memorial Library

Date

2023

Rights

George M. Jones Memorial Library

Format

Adobe portable document file (pdf)

Language

English

Identifier

MS1042FA

Citation

George M. Jones Memorial Library, “Manuscript finding aid to the Alexander W. Terrell (1861-1942) Account Books,” Digital Collections, accessed April 24, 2024, https://digitaljones.omeka.net/items/show/56.