Manuscript finding aid to Rose Mills Account Book

Text

JONES MEMORIAL LIBRARY
2311 MEMORIAL AVENUE
LYNCHBURG, VIRGINIA 24501
(434) 846-0501
ROSE MILLS ACCOUNT BOOK
The collection includes an account book (1814-1815) for Rose Mills in Nelson
County, Virginia, with names of customers and amount of grain ground.

ROSE MILL (ROSE'S MILL)
ROSE's Mill was known as the Hat Creek mill, when it was constructed ca. 1749 by
Robert ROSE. It was located near the lands of George MONROE, John WILCOX,
Samuel DENNEY, and ROSE's own plantation, Rose Isle. Hat Creek flows into the "Tye
River, near present Roseland in Nelson County, just above the confluence of Tye and
Piney Rivers."
When the parishes of Camden and Amherst were divided in October 1778, ROSE's
Mill was used as a landmark for the setting of the parish boundaries. The mill was "a
stone and timber structure...owned by descendants of the Reverend Mr. Robert ROSE,
who came to Virginia about 1725 and took up great tracts of land."
[Ralph Emmett Fall, The Diary of Robert Rose (Verona, VA: McClure Press, 1977), pp. 143-144, Note
103, 105; Work Projects Administration, VA, Virginia: A Guide to the Old Dominion, Rep. ed. (Richmond:
Virginia State Library, 1992), p. 408.]

MS1039

Dublin Core

Title

Manuscript finding aid to Rose Mills Account Book

Subject

Manuscript finding aid
Rose Mills [Nelson County, Virginia]

Description

Finding aid to the Rose Mills account book held at Jones Memorial Library

Creator

George M. Jones Memorial Library

Publisher

George M. Jones Memorial Library

Date

2023

Rights

George M. Jones Memorial Library

Format

Adobe portable document file (pdf)

Language

English

Identifier

MS1039FA

Citation

George M. Jones Memorial Library, “Manuscript finding aid to Rose Mills Account Book,” Digital Collections, accessed March 2, 2024, https://digitaljones.omeka.net/items/show/51.