Finding Aid to the Helen Strange Patterson - Saint Stephen's Church Records

Text

JONES MEMORIAL LIBRARY
2311 MEMORIAL AVENUE
LYNCHBURG, VIRGINIA 24501
(434) 846-0501
HELEN STRANGE PATTERSON - ST. STEPHEN'S CHURCH RECORDS
The collection includes typescripts of church records and publisher's proof of a book
on St. Stephen's Episcopal Church records.
FOLDER 1 Typescript (pp. 1-130)
FOLDER 2 Typescript (pp. 131-260)
FOLDER 3 Typescript (pp. 261-391)
FOLDER 4 Cover and Advertisement
FOLDER 5 Galley proofs (Title-p. 108)
FOLDER 6 Galley proofs (pp. 109-207)
FOLDER 7 Galley proofs (pp. 208-317)
FOLDER 8 Miscellaneous notes/letters

MS1276

JONES MEMORIAL LIBRARY
2311 MEMORIAL AVENUE
LYNCHBURG, VIRGINIA 24501
(434) 846-0501
ST. STEPHEN'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH, FOREST, VIRGINIA
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church and Trinity Episcopal Church, Russell Parish, were
formed ca. 1824 by Rev. Nicholas Hamner COBBS.
St. Stephens's was built on land originally part of the Poplar Forest tract, owned by
Thomas JEFFERSON. The original brick church was torn down and "the present Church
built about 1844 in its place." In 1846, St. Stephen's Church was separated from Trinity
Church and became Hamner Parish.
"At a Vestry meeting of March 26, 1911, it was ordered that the congregation be
notified that there was debt resting upon the Church and subscriptions should be solicited
to pay the same and repair the Church." Although the Church had been active from its
beginning in 1824, it was closed from 1911 until 1941, with only occasional services
held.
St. Stephen's Church has been active since its reopening in 1941.
["A Brief History of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, Forest, Va.," Helen Strange Patterson, compiler, St.
Stephen's Episcopal Church of Bedford County, Forest, Virginia: Historical Records & Registers from
1824 to 1915: Cemetery Records from 1824 to 1980 (Forest: Historical Records Committee, 1983), pp. 912.]

HELEN INEZ STRANGE PATTERSON
Helen Inez STRANGE, of Richmond, Virginia, married 24 December 1942 Charles
Greenwood PATTERSON, Jr., son of Charles Greenwood PATTERSON and Betty
Stuart BOCOCK, of Lynchburg, Virginia. Charles G. PATTERSON, Jr., was
pharmacist, store manager, and president of the Patterson Drug Company, Incorporated,
which included a chain of thirteen stores. Following retirement, Mr. and Mrs.
PATTERSON moved to King's Grant, a retirement village in Martinsville, Virginia.
[Richard Lee Morton, Virginia Lives: The Old Dominion Who's Who (Hopkinsville, KY: Historical Record
Association, 1964), p. 766; Postcard, 14 December 1992, Patterson to Rhodes.]

MS1276

Dublin Core

Title

Finding Aid to the Helen Strange Patterson - Saint Stephen's Church Records

Subject

Finding aids
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church -- Lynchburg, Va.

Description

Finding aid to the Helen Strange Patterson - St. Stephen's Church Records held at Jones Memorial Library in Lynchburg, Virginia.

Creator

George M. Jones Memorial Library

Publisher

George M. Jones Memorial Library

Date

2023

Rights

George M. Jones Memorial Library

Format

pdf

Language

English

Identifier

MS1276FA

Citation

George M. Jones Memorial Library, “Finding Aid to the Helen Strange Patterson - Saint Stephen's Church Records,” Digital Collections, accessed June 21, 2024, https://digitaljones.omeka.net/items/show/318.